Skip to main content

How to create ADF components on runtime?

Quite easy actually! There are two methods by which we can do it. Either we can create the component in the managed bean and add it to the children of an existing component, or we can create it in our .jspx or .jsff page directly.

1) Creating component in the Managed Bean.

In the below code we are creating a new ShowDetailItem which we will add to an existing panelTabbed item.

private UIComponent createComponent() {
UIComponent componentToAdd = null;

//Create new object of ShowDetailItem and set its properties.
RichShowDetailItem item = new RichShowDetailItem();
item.setText("new tab");
componentToAdd = item;

//Now that we are at it, I am creating a new iFrame which will be set inside the ShowDetailItem
RichInlineFrame frame = new RichInlineFrame();

//add the iFrame to the children of the ShowDetailItem

return componentToAdd;

Now calling this method from the event listener on which I want to add the ShowDetailItem:
RichPanelTabbed mainPanel = getMainPanelTabbed();
UIComponent componentToAdd = buildComponent();

And we are done! Now when ever this event listener is invoked, you will see a new tab in your panelTabbed layout.

2) Second way is also very easy and preferred if you have to create more than one components of same type. So if I want to create multiple tabs at run time for my panelTabbed component, I should use this method.

This is by using <af:iterator>> in your page. See the snippet below:

<:iterator var="row"
<af:showDetailItem text="#{bindings.selectedFormsIterator.currentRow.dataProvider.formName}">
<af:inlineFrame source="{bindings.selectedFormsIterator.currentRow.dataProvider.formName}" />

Basically af:iterator is a modified version of af:forEach and is suggested for iteration if you are trying to create multiple components.

You just need to create the iterator binding and associate it with your iterator and you are ready to go!

Simple isn't it?


Pratik Petkar said…
I want to create a dynamic menu.I used the adf iterator with commendMenuitems.Now How can i add action to these menuitems??.In the page structure there is only one commandmenuitem,but during runtime i get many menuitems.

Popular posts from this blog

How to upload to Google Cloud Storage buckets using CURL

Signed URLs are pretty nifty feature given by Google Cloud Platform to let anyone access your cloud storage (bucket or any file in the bucket) without need to sign in.

Official documentation gives step by step details as to how to read/write to the bucket using gsutil or through a program. This article will tell you how to upload a file to the bucket using curl so that any client which doesn't have cloud SDK installed can do this using a simple script. This command creates a signed PUT URL for your bucket. gsutil signurl -c 'text/plain' -m PUT serviceAccount.json gs://test_bucket_location
Here is my URL:…

File upload problem: UTF-8 encoding not honored when form has multipart/form-data

The problem that I was facing was something like this. I was using Apache Commons File Upload library to upload and download some file.

I had a form in which user can upload a file and another field 'name' in which she can give any name to the file being loaded.

When I submitted the form, the file was uploaded fine but the value in name field was garbled. I followed all the possible suggestions I found:

<%@page pageEncoding="UTF-8"%> set. <%@page contentType="text/html;charset=UTF-8"%gt; set after the first directive. <meta equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8"> in the head. enctype="multipart/form-data" attribute in the form. accept-charset="UTF-8" attribute in the form.
in the Servlet:
before doing any operations on request object: request.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8"); For accessing the value

FileItem item = (FileItem);

if (item.isFormField()) {

//For regular…

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Malformed \uxxxx encoding

I was getting this exception during build while running ant. Googling didn't help much and I was flummoxed because the same code was running fine till now.

My code reads a text file and does some operations on the basis of values read. It was only when I saw the text files I understood the error. I had copied the text in wordpad and saved it as .txt file. Wordpad had put lot of formatting information before and after the content. Also there was "\par" after every line, which was giving this error.

So moral of the story: if you get this exception check your properties file (or any other file that your code might be reading.)